The 2018 August Write Away Challenge
If you’re just joining us, please feel free to go back and read the previous content so you’re up to speed! Otherwise, scroll down for today’s prompt.
- 2018 August Write Away Challenge original post
- Day 1 – What book did you read over and over again as a child?
- Day 2 – Some of the things that make me happy are…
- Day 3 – Name three things you’d do if you weren’t so afraid.
- Day 4 – How easy is it for you to forgive those who have caused you pain?
- Day 5 – What are your best character traits?
- Day 6 – What grand adventure do you wish you could go on?
- Day 7 – Dear past me…
- Day 8 – If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be?
- Day 9 – Your favorite movies.
- Day 10 – Did you ever run away from home?
- Day 11 – How do you indulge yourself? Do you need to indulge yourself more often?
- Day 12 – As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Day 13 – What would you do if money was no object?
- Day 14 – What one thing caught you off guard this week?
- Day 15 – The most terrifying moment of my life was…
- Day 16 – Do you have a plan? Do you need a plan? Have you had a plan fall spectacularly to pieces?
- Day 17 – What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- Day 18 – How do you think others see you when they meet you for the first time?
- Day 19 – What is your most vivid memory of the kitchen from your childhood?
- Day 20 – Describe yourself in one word.
- Day 21 – Dear Future Me…
- Day 22 – What was your favorite subject in school?
- Day 23 – What are you looking forward to the most?
- Day 24 – What was your favorite toy as a child?
- Day 25 – What is your favorite Sunday ritual?
- Day 26 – What are your top five short term goals?
- Day 27 – Who are three of your favorite book characters?
- Day 28 – Close your eyes and imagine the kind of world you would like to see. What is it like?
- Day 29 – What makes you unique?
Keep scrolling down for today’s prompt!
Reminders before we get started:
- The prompt is to use or ignore as you wish;
- Absolutely any form of the written word is allowed;
- All participation will be on the honor system, though sharing is strongly encouraged;
- Participants will be asked to let me know each week that they’ve written daily;
- Those who do write daily for the week will have their name entered into a drawing at the end of the month for a $25 Amazon Gift Card;
- Any blogger who participates and writes every day for the month will receive a badge for your blog.
- Please send me an email or contact me to let me know you’re participating!
Thu, Aug. 30 – If you had to evacuate your home because of a natural disaster, what three things would you take with you?
Assuming that any persons or pets could save themselves? And assuming I get to keep (and not “count”) the things already on my person (which would be, you know… whatever clothing I’m wearing and shoes and engagement ring and coffee cup filled with coffee [I know that’s a stretch, but… it is my prompt..] and key chain)? Sure… well… ?
Well, I would no doubt grab my guitar. Guitars have no legs, you see. I have more of a relationship with my guitar than I do with most of the people in my life! (Not sure if that’s sad, or…?) I’ve worshiped and prayed and sang and written with that guitar. It’s not irreplaceable; but I’d rather not replace it because of trauma. When I’m ready to replace it (or rather, when I’m ready to add to the family), I’ll do so the right way. So yes — I’d grab my guitar.
I’d also grab my jump drive. No, seriously… writers? GRAB YOUR JUMP DRIVE. As one who has lost her writing on more than one occasion, I urge you to always have your backup. In fact, I almost always carry it on me anymore, because I’m so paranoid of losing it. So it probably it would be considered one of the things I don’t “count”… but I’m going to count it anyway, just to be absolutely certain. I do not want — or need — to start over. Again. 😉
Finally, I would grab my Bibles. Oh-ho-ho. See what I did there? I tried to sneak several items by you with the slip of a plural. Honestly, I don’t see why each “thing” I would take has to be only one item. Seems like a collection or group of logical things would make sense. If I’d said, “I’d take my yarn,” you wouldn’t ask me to specify how many skeins I was taking, would you? Or if I’d said, “I’d take the beautiful tea set from my niece”? Or if I’d said, “I’d take my medications”? Or… when I said I’d bring my jump drive, you understood that I wanted to save my writing — but you didn’t wonder how many manuscripts or poems I was essentially taking with me, did you? So I think it’s fair to take my Bibles. I have three that I use on a fairly regular basis, and I would be very disappointed and discouraged to have to start over with a replacement of any one of them. I use them for different purposes, but each one has gone many miles with me already.
I suppose that’s it… the three things I’d take in the event of an emergency evacuation (although I’m seriously wondering, now that I’ve justified making one thing plural, why I didn’t say I’d bring my guitars… I would, you know… all the both of them… ).
From the shores of Wicket Lake,
2 thoughts on “Day 30 – 2018 AWAC”