The 2018 August Write Away Challenge
If you’re just joining us, please feel free to go back and read the previous content so you’re up to speed! Otherwise, scroll down for today’s prompt.
- 2018 August Write Away Challenge original post
- Day 1 – What book did you read over and over again as a child?
- Day 2 – Some of the things that make me happy are…
- Day 3 – Name three things you’d do if you weren’t so afraid.
- Day 4 – How easy is it for you to forgive those who have caused you pain?
- Day 5 – What are your best character traits?
- Day 6 – What grand adventure do you wish you could go on?
- Day 7 – Dear past me…
- Day 8 – If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be?
- Day 9 – Your favorite movies.
- Day 10 – Did you ever run away from home?
- Day 11 – How do you indulge yourself? Do you need to indulge yourself more often?
- Day 12 – As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Day 13 – What would you do if money was no object?
- Day 14 – What one thing caught you off guard this week?
- Day 15 – The most terrifying moment of my life was…
- Day 16 – Do you have a plan? Do you need a plan? Have you had a plan fall spectacularly to pieces?
- Day 17 – What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- Day 18 – How do you think others see you when they meet you for the first time?
- Day 19 – What is your most vivid memory of the kitchen from your childhood?
- Day 20 – Describe yourself in one word.
- Day 21 – Dear Future Me…
- Day 22 – What was your favorite subject in school?
- Day 23 – What are you looking forward to the most?
- Day 24 – What was your favorite toy as a child?
- Day 25 – What is your favorite Sunday ritual?
- Day 26 – What are your top five short term goals?
Keep scrolling down for today’s prompt!
Reminders before we get started:
- The prompt is to use or ignore as you wish;
- Absolutely any form of the written word is allowed;
- All participation will be on the honor system, though sharing is strongly encouraged;
- Participants will be asked to let me know each week that they’ve written daily;
- Those who do write daily for the week will have their name entered into a drawing at the end of the month for a $25 Amazon Gift Card;
- Any blogger who participates and writes every day for the month will receive a badge for your blog.
- Please send me an email or contact me to let me know you’re participating!
Mon, Aug. 27 – Who are three of your favorite book characters?
My first favorite character is the retired star, Ramandu, from C.S. Lewis’ The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Though his place in the story is short, he is one over which I’ll never stop marveling. There is a beautiful moment when the kids meet Ramandu and Eustace says something ridiculous: “In our world, a star is a huge ball of flaming gas.” Ramandu replies, “Even in your world, my son, that is not what a star is, but only what it is made of.” With one short exchange, my worldview was rocked. That is what a great character does.
I also love Pippin from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. I confess my love of his character is a bit biased — as I love Billy Boyd’s portrayal of him in the Peter Jackson films. Boyd brought Pippin to life for me. I love the transition we see in Pippin from the first pages in the Shire to the hero’s return. He grows, but he does not change in character or personality. He is real. He is a bit of a bumbling idiot, which gives me much hope for myself in the grand story of life.
Finally, though there are countless characters I could choose (and would traditionally choose), I have to say that I’ve been reading some Ted Dekker lately, and I really like Thomas Hunter! I love how well-crafted his story is and how he learns and grows. I love his integrity mixed with raw emotion. Great character!
And you? Who are some of your favorite characters?
From the shores of Wicket Lake,