The 2018 August Write Away Challenge
If you’re just joining us, please feel free to go back and read the previous content so you’re up to speed! Otherwise, scroll down for today’s prompt.
- 2018 August Write Away Challenge original post
- Day 1 – What book did you read over and over again as a child?
- Day 2 – Some of the things that make me happy are…
- Day 3 – Name three things you’d do if you weren’t so afraid.
- Day 4 – How easy is it for you to forgive those who have caused you pain?
- Day 5 – What are your best character traits?
- Day 6 – What grand adventure do you wish you could go on?
- Day 7 – Dear past me…
- Day 8 – If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be?
- Day 9 – Your favorite movies.
- Day 10 – Did you ever run away from home?
- Day 11 – How do you indulge yourself? Do you need to indulge yourself more often?
- Day 12 – As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Day 13 – What would you do if money was no object?
- Day 14 – What one thing caught you off guard this week?
- Day 15 – The most terrifying moment of my life was…
- Day 16 – Do you have a plan? Do you need a plan? Have you had a plan fall spectacularly to pieces?
- Day 17 – What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- Day 18 – How do you think others see you when they meet you for the first time?
- Day 19 – What is your most vivid memory of the kitchen from your childhood?
- Day 20 – Describe yourself in one word.
- Day 21 – Dear Future Me…
Keep scrolling down for today’s prompt!
Reminders before we get started:
- The prompt is to use or ignore as you wish;
- Absolutely any form of the written word is allowed;
- All participation will be on the honor system, though sharing is strongly encouraged;
- Participants will be asked to let me know each week that they’ve written daily;
- Those who do write daily for the week will have their name entered into a drawing at the end of the month for a $25 Amazon Gift Card;
- Any blogger who participates and writes every day for the month will receive a badge for your blog.
- Please send me an email or contact me to let me know you’re participating!
Wed, Aug. 22 – What was your favorite subject in school?
It shouldn’t surprise any of you that my favorite subject in school was English. I have always loved writing; I have always been a writer; and I have always been relatively OKish at writing — OKish enough to not need to work very hard for my A’s in English class! In fact, I worked very little in English class. I’m a decent writer, I think; Imagine how good I could’ve been if I’d applied myself!
I did love English class, though. I loved putting ink to paper. I loved rewriting (something I grew out of as soon as I was writing outside the structure of a classroom). I loved critiquing my classmates’ work. From the Letter People in Kindergarten (Mister M with the Munching Mouth [you’re welcome] was my very first take-home paper) to my Alliteration Book in Grade 1, from the Young Authors program to working on our high school Newspaper — I loved everything about English class. I loved my English teachers.
There is something particularly special about individuals who can encourage and inspire creative writing in young people. I am blessed to have had several such individuals over the course of my education, one of whom has become something of my own William Forrester.
How about you? What was your favorite subject in school? How has it impacted your life?
From the shores of Wicket Lake,