The 2018 August Write Away Challenge
If you’re just joining us, please feel free to go back and read the previous content so you’re up to speed! Otherwise, scroll down for today’s prompt.
- 2018 August Write Away Challenge original post
- Day 1 – What book did you read over and over again as a child?
- Day 2 – Some of the things that make me happy are…
- Day 3 – Name three things you’d do if you weren’t so afraid.
- Day 4 – How easy is it for you to forgive those who have caused you pain?
- Day 5 – What are your best character traits?
- Day 6 – What grand adventure do you wish you could go on?
- Day 7 – Dear past me…
- Day 8 – If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be?
- Day 9 – Your favorite movies.
- Day 10 – Did you ever run away from home?
- Day 11 – How do you indulge yourself? Do you need to indulge yourself more often?
- Day 12 – As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Day 13 – What would you do if money was no object?
- Day 14 – What one thing caught you off guard this week?
- Day 15 – The most terrifying moment of my life was…
- Day 16 – Do you have a plan? Do you need a plan? Have you had a plan fall spectacularly to pieces?
- Day 17 – What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- Day 18 – How do you think others see you when they meet you for the first time?
- Day 19 – What is your most vivid memory of the kitchen from your childhood?
- Day 20 – Describe yourself in one word.
- Day 21 – Dear Future Me…
- Day 22 – What was your favorite subject in school?
- Day 23 – What are you looking forward to the most?
Keep scrolling down for today’s prompt!
Reminders before we get started:
- The prompt is to use or ignore as you wish;
- Absolutely any form of the written word is allowed;
- All participation will be on the honor system, though sharing is strongly encouraged;
- Participants will be asked to let me know each week that they’ve written daily;
- Those who do write daily for the week will have their name entered into a drawing at the end of the month for a $25 Amazon Gift Card;
- Any blogger who participates and writes every day for the month will receive a badge for your blog.
- Please send me an email or contact me to let me know you’re participating!
Fri, Aug. 24 – What was your favorite toy as a child?
I had a raggedy old Humpty Dumpty stuffed toy as a child, and I think he was my absolutely favorite. He had a wind-up music box on his back that played “the Humpty Dumpty song,” and every night I would wind it up as far as it would go, snuggle it up against my face, and fall asleep to the metallic tune. When the last chime sounded, I was often startled awake, re-wind the box, and start all over.
Humpty had two sewn-on buttons for eyes and a mouth embroidered with black thread. He also had hair. Yes — believe it or not, my Humpty Dumpty doll had hair. Three strands, I believe, of yellow yarn that somehow only suffered a bit of dirt and fade over the years, though the eyes and mouth and music box seemed in constant need of repair.
I don’t remember where he came from, though it seems he may have been a gift from either my mother or her mother. Either way, he was one of the best gifts I’d ever received; he was certainly my favorite toy — and still sits on my bookshelf, hoping not to fall to pieces the nursery rhyme predicts.
From the shores of Wicket Lake,